Some time during the first two weeks of December, the Federal Government’s Carbon Pollution Reduction Scheme White Paper will be released and the interim emissions reduction targets announced.
If they don’t commit to both of our key asks at that time, it’s time to step it up.
Step back into your local members office to let them know that you are outraged.
If we all do this in the same week after this announcement it will generate political will to adopt the policies we need. Your local member will be embarrassed to have to defend policies the community rejects – they will go to the party room and complain that the policy isn’t good enough.
You have been and tried to get them to change. They need to know that there are repercussions for failing to make the right policy decisions.
We will have only twelve months left to turn around our emissions. The task ahead is so hard: politicians just won’t do it unless they know there will be protests and backlash if they fail.
Your step in action could be:
• Standing out the front of their office with placards handing out flyers to passersby
• Sending in a delegation of mums and dads with letter or petition to Kevin Rudd and Penny Wong demanding a peak carbon by 2010 commitment.
• Piling into their office with your prams, puppets, banners, friends and families and demanding to see them again to tell them how disappointed you are.
• “Sitting-in” on the floor or in the reception area and refusing to leave until the peak carbon promise is delivered (this will require you to think about how you will respond to the police.)
• Taking a chain and padlock with you and attaching yourself to their door to show them how seriously you take this issue.
Remember: we will all be doing it in the same week – you are not alone.